About the school
The School unites the disciplines of Chemical Science, Biological Science, Mathematics, Physical Science and Statistics
When the School system started in 1985, the School of Science formerly known as the School of Applied Science was one of the five Schools in the College until 1996 when more Schools were created. At inception in the mid-seventies, the School had only two departments:
- Mathematics and Physics Department
- Science Technology Department.
The continued growth of the School as the School of Applied Sciences led to the emergence of six full-fledged departments:
- Mathematics and Statistics Department
- Science laboratory Technology Department
- Food Technology Department
- Catering and hotel management Department
- Polymer/Textile Technology Department
- Computer Technology Department
In 1998, the College restructured some academic programmes, where the department of Science Laboratory Technology was split into three departments namely Biological Science, Chemical Science and Physical Science hence the above eight academic departments emerging from the erstwhile School of Applied Science became reorganized into the School of Technology and the School of Science and Mathematics.
The School of Science and Mathematics operated with four departments namely Biological Science, Chemical Science, Physical Science and the Department of Mathematics and Statistics, until 2003 when the Department of Mathematics and Statistics eventually evolved into two departments, as Statistics Department and Mathematics Department.
In January, 2001, the School of Science and Mathematics was changed to its present nomenclature of School of Science.
The School has the following department at present.
- Department of Biological Science
- Department of Chemical Science
- Department of Physical Science
- Department of Statistics
- Department of Mathematics